Cheesy Garlic Sticks

Happy Friday!  Here's a perfect Friday night snack... or maybe for the Blackhawks game tomorrow!

One thing I miss about college is the pizza place we had there.  The pizza itself left a lot to be desired, but they had cheese sticks that were absolute heaven.  Papa Johns has a poor imitation of it, and it just made me crave the real thing more and more.  When I discovered this recipe on Pinterest, I was so excited I immediately went out for the ingredients.

So far, it's been a hit at parties, just as a snack for lunch, and as an appetizer at a big family function.  I think it's my sister's favorite of the Pinterest experiments (that doesn't include chocolate, anyway).  You need some sort of pizza dough, and I would suggest the unbaked version.  I really enjoy the unbaked one from Whole Foods, but your generic Pillsbury-knock off at your local grocery store does just fine too.  You're going to bake the dough before making the cheesy bread, so you can get the pre-baked stuff... I just happen to think it's garbage :)

This recipe changes every time I do it, so this recipe is frustratingly vague.  Sorry, friends!  Just experiment and have fun!

Cheesy Garlic Bread
This is not my picture. Taken from Lauren's Latest.
Mine never turned out so browned... still delicious!

Adapted from here

1 container of your favorite pizza crust
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Shredded mozzerella
Shredded parmesan

  1. Spread out the pizza crust onto a baking sheet of your choice.  If it is unbaked, make a little rolled crust along the edges and brush the entire thing with the olive oil.  Sometimes I sprinkle the crust with some parmesan, Italian seasoning, or garlic powder.  These are all optional.
  2. Bake the crust at 350 for about 10 minutes or until just cooked (you do not want it to be browned).  You can do this ahead of time, but wrap it in aluminum foil if you want it to stay good overnight.
  3. Place the pressed garlic and butter in a small, microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave at intervals of 15 seconds each until butter is almost fully melted.  Pour butter/garlic mixture over the whole crust, spreading it out over the whole pizza.
  4. Spread enough mozzarella over the pizza to cover the entire thing like a pizza.  Sprinkle some parmesan on top of the mozzarella layer.
  5. Bake at 400 for about 15-18 minutes.  I like to turn the oven up to 450 for the last few minutes to get a nice brown, bubbly cheese.

You can, of course, add other delicious toppings to this.  Last time, I cut up some fresh basil from our plant and sprinkled that.  It was heavenly.  Just don't get too carried away... this is delicious all on its own!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever