Oreo Frosting

If I have a weakness, it's Oreos.  Ok fine, I'm a sucker for Doritos too, but Oreos might be even worse.  I don't allow myself to buy a package of them because I will eat the entire thing in two, maybe three days.  No, that's not a joke, yes I recognize that's sad.  Hence, I don't allow myself to buy them!

But when I saw this on Pinterest, I couldn't resist.  Can you?

Taken from MyBakingAddiction.com
Right, so now that we're all on the same page, I immediately went out to purchase the goods.  I didn't make the cake from her recipe, because I already have a favorite chocolate cake recipe (that will be a later post).  I stuck with my cake, and I used her Oreo buttercream recipe.  My anticipation was so great, I could hardly stand it!

But I was disappointed :(  That light, fluffy, creamy frosting that we associate with Oreo deliciousness was missing, and I should have seen it coming.  That kind of frosting comes from a whipped cream frosting.  Buttercream is thicker, creamier, and not--in my opinion--made for mixing with cookie crumbles.  Duh, Molly!  I knew that, but my excitement was too great to be contained by things like common sense and logic.

LOOK AT THAT PICTURE!  Can you blame me?

So you, my friends, have stumbled upon two recipes.  I'm going to give you the original Oreo buttercream recipe (in case that is your cup of tea), but I'm going to give you an Oreo whipped cream recipe too.  Disclaimer:  I have not yet tried the whipped cream frosting... could be delicious or disastrous   Proceed at your own risk :)

Oreo Buttercream
Adapted from here

2 sticks butter, softened
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 cups powdered sugar/confectioner's sugar
3-4 tablespoons milk
1 package of Oreos, crushed (you can use the cheaper knockoffs, they taste just as fine in this)

  1. In an electric mixer, cream the butter.  Add vanilla and mix well.
  2. Add in each cup of powdered sugar slowly, thoroughly mixing after each addition.  Make sure to pause and scrape down the sides frequently.
  3. Once all the powdered sugar is full incorporated, add the milk, one tablespoon at a time.  You may want more or less, so add it slowly until it has reached the desired consistency.
  4. Stir in the crushed Oreos.


Oreo Whipped Cream

1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar (I prefer powdered sugar, but you can use regular old white sugar)
1 package Oreos, crushed

  1. In an electric mixer (get your muscle out if you're doing this by hand!), pour the pint of whipping cream and sugar.  Set your mixer on a low speed, using the whisk attachment.  This will need to run for several minutes.  Keep an eye on it because you don't want it to curdle, but it does take a long time.  Feel free to stop it and stick a finger in to see if it's your desired consistency.  You can also add more sugar if you want it to be sweeter.
  2. When it has thickened nicely, pour in the Oreos and mix just enough to incorporate.
  3. Eat with a spoon or, ok fine, on cake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever