Cranberry Orange Scones

Oh heaven, these are my favorite.  Yes, this is my favorite baked good that I have discovered on Pinterest.  When I was younger, I thought scones were like a hard cookie that old English ladies ate.  How wrong I was...

These feature that heavenly combination of cranberry and orange, which cannot be beat.  If that's not your cup of tea, you're living a sad, sad life.  No, just kidding (sorta).  You might be able to substitute your favorites (chocolate chips, apple cinnamon, blueberry), but I haven't tried it.  Let me know if you try and how it works!

Without further ado...

Cranberry Orange Scones
Adapted from here

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2.5 tsps baking powder
Smidge of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup cold butter (1.5 sticks)
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp grated orange peel (I'm too lazy to measure this, I just grate until I'm happy)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

  1. In your large mixing bowl (I use my KitchenAid), combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda.  Cut in cold butter until crumbly.  DON'T use your electric paddle for this part.  Literally use two knives (or a pastry cutter) to do this.
  2. Pour in the buttermilk and mix until just incorporated (yes, you can use the electric mixer for this part).
  3. Mix in cranberries and orange peel.
  4. Form the dough into a ball and place it on a lightly floured surface.  Cut the ball in half.  With each half, form it into a flat disc (roughly 6 inches in diameter).  Cut the discs into six wedges each.  You should have 12 total.
  5. Place them on a baking sheet, separated.  Brush each wedge with milk.  In a separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle over each wedge.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, or until just starting to brown.  

Original Pinterest Picture:

My Picture:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever