Chicken Gyros

I blatantly stole this picture from A Bitchin' Kitchen
Chicken gyros... yummmm!  As soon as I saw this little beauty on Pinterest, I announced to Jeff what we would be doing for dinner that night and we headed to the grocery store.  You can, of course, skip one part or another.  This has a recipe for the tzatziki sauce (my favorite!) as well as the chicken.  If you want to make just one and buy the other from the store, that's fine too.

It's actually pretty low calorie (which I don't usually care about, but it's a nice change of pace after the holidays) because the tzatziki is a greek yogurt based sauce and I use chicken breast.  You can use wheat pitas, but I personally think that is a crime.  Either way, do your thing the way you like it.

Below, I've broken down the meal.  If you buy certain parts or make it all from scratch, in the end, you'll have a delicious gyro.  I suggest you brown the pitas by spraying it with some cooking spray and tossing it right on your stove burner (turned on, of course).  Then you spread on the tzatziki sauce, load it up with diced onion, throw some chicken on there, sprinkle some tomatoes.

Fair warning, this was not our favorite experimemt and probably won't be making it again.  It's not bad, but the chicken needs something smokey to balance the sourness of the tzatziki.  Try it yourself and see what you think.  I'd love some suggestions for it so I don't have tovisit my favorite greasy fatty gyro place... Though I certain do

Voil;-) a!

Chicken Marinade

2 chicken breasts, sliced in half to make 4 thin chicken breasts
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 big tablespoons of non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

  1. Combine all ingredients except the chicken breasts.  Whisk together.  Coat chicken in marinade and marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.

Tzatziki Sauce

16oz non-fat Greek yogurt
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp white wine vinegar
4-5 stems of fresh dill, finely diced
Salt, pepper, lemon juice to taste

  1. Mix all of the above ingredients together, stirring well.  Continue to taste to make sure it tastes the way you want it to.

I like my gyros to be fatty shaved lamb with thick, delicious tzatziki, so this recipe is a little healthy for my tastes, but considering that, it was delicious.  As long as you're not expecting the gyros from the little Greek place on the corner, you will be extraordinarily pleased with this recipe.  Enjoy!

I hodge-podged this recipe together from A Bitchin' Kitchen and Elly Says Opa

Comments

  1. how do you cook the chicken, grill?

    Steph's dad, BTW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually threw them on a baking sheet and put them in the oven (as per the original recipe), but both commented that it would've tasted better if it had the bitterness of the grill flavor. So that's my suggestion!

      Delete
  2. I'm adding these items to my grocery list right now!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake