Chicken Tortilla Soup

I've never made soup before I stumbled upon this Pinterest treasure.  If you don't have a slow cooker, don't give up!  The original recipe is here, and uses a regular old pot on the stove.  I'm just lazy and want my soup to cook itself.  Now, I love spicy things, but don't shy away from this if you don't.  Jeff hates spicy and loves this soup.  I loooove spicy and love this soup.  It's a crowd favorite, so dig in!

Chicken Tortilla Soup
Adapted from here

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 cups chicken stock (or 3 cups water and 3 chicken boullion cubes)
3 chopped fresh jalapenos
1 chopped onion
1 chopped green pepper
2 cups frozen corn
1 can drained black beans
1-6oz can tomato paste
1-14.5oz can tomatoes
Taco seasoning (as much as you'd like, I just sprinkle)

  1. Throw it all in a crockpot and let it cook on high.  When the chicken is fully cooked, use two forks and shred it.  I usually pull the entire breast out to shred it, but you can do it in the crockpot if you don't mind a little mess.
  2. I like my broth thick, so Jeff makes me a slurry to thicken up the broth.  After you've shredded the chicken, you can add it in.  For those of you (like me) who don't know how to make a slurry, it's easy!  In a separate bowl, mix 3-4 teaspoons of flour and roughly 6-8 teaspoons of water.  Whisk it together and pour it slowly into the soup.  Stir very well and let cook for another hour at least.


I serve with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and diced green onions.  Jeff prefers it with a splash of lime juice.  Either way, serve up a big bowl, you'll eat it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake