Chicken Taco Wraps

Wraps are probably my favorite sandwiches, but this recipe doesn't count as my typical wrap.  It's more of a chicken taco salad pinwheel.  I usually don't like pinwheel sandwiches, but this one is deeeelicious!  You can make these one day ahead of time if necessary or 10 minutes before the party.  The best is a couple of hours before, to let the wraps set.

This calls for shredded chicken breast and you can do it however you'd like.  I've cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast and shredded it myself.  You can shred a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store (not my favorite option).  You can also use shredded chicken in a can because it's so well mixed with delicious seasonings and fresh flavors.  There is also no fat on that chicken.

Again, I'm sorry for the poor quality of the picture.  Still workin on that camera situation!

Chicken Taco Wraps
Adapted from Homemade by Holman

1.5lbs of shredded chicken
Pinch of salt and black pepper
Taco seasoning (to taste)
12oz cream cheese
1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
1-1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
4-8 diced scallions (green onions)
Handful of diced fresh cilantro
6-8 large flour tortillas (I like the spinach or cheddar-jalapeno)

  1. If starting with raw chicken breasts, cook in skillet with 1 cup of water and some of the taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.  When fully cooked, drain chicken and shred it.  Set to the side to cool.
  2. In a big mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, drained tomatoes, shredded cheese, scallions, and cilantro until fully blended.  Cream cheese should be soft without any lumps.  Add in shredded chicken.
  3. Spread a thin layer over the tortillas, leaving clear 1/4-1/2 of an inch from the edges.  Roll tightly.  Cut off the ends and dispose (I usually snack on these!).  Cut the remaining log into 1-1/2 to 2 inch thick rolls.  Stand on end on a plate for pretty presentation!  Repeat until all the chicken mixture is used.

This certainly makes enough for a crowd, so I wouldn't suggest it for a dinner.  I made it for my book club group and a holiday party, both with about a 10-person hungry crowd.  They loved it, but I still had some leftovers.  They are good as leftovers too!

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake