Carne Asada

I've had a little internal debate going on over the past two weeks.  I've tried a couple recipes only to discover that we didn't like them.  I wondered if I should post about the failed ones as well.  Well... they weren't failures, we just didn't care for them.  I didn't want this blog to be "Molly & Jeff's amazing cooking lives" because we make "eh" dishes plenty of times, but I also don't want to bore you with recipes that we didn't much like and who wants to try something with that kind of recommendation.

So here's my disclaimer:  Sometimes we make lousy food, blah food, or boring food.  I'm not going to post about them because I want this to be a record of recipes I like so I can go back and find delicious things any time I want.  Ta daaaa... problem solved.

Now, onto our delicious experiment last weekend...

We're hosting the Superbowl party here next weekend, and Jeff didn't want chili or pizza or wings.  He suggested buying some carne asada from our local carniceria, and I'm always down for delicious Mexican food.  However, neither local store had any!  So to the interwebs we went!

I blatantly stole this picture from allrecipes.com
This recipe has a lot of ingredients, but we made it the night before to truly let it marinate well before serving it to our guinea pigs (my parents and sister).  This marinade made enough to cover a gigantic 2.5lb flank steak, laid out in a 9x13 baking dish, so you'll have plenty for whatever you're doing.  After marinating (covered) in the fridge overnight and most of Sunday, we took it out to let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes before grilling.  Our meat was so big that we cut it in half before grilling, but most cuts of meat won't need that.

From what I understand, carne asada is usually skirt steak, but according to my darling chef, hanger steak and flank steak all work.  Just make sure that after it is grilled to your liking (we found medium ideal), you dice it up really small.  Frankly, it was so darn good that I could've eaten it straight, sliced it into strips and put it on a salad or in a wrap, or just about anything else you can do with flank steak.  We chose to put it in some corn tortillas, squeeze some lime juice over it, toss cilantro, white onion, tomatoes, and cheese.  It was deeeelicious.  The leftovers were just as amazing (Jeff even liked it better the next day).  I ate it in a burrito and he made an egg/hash browns/steak dish.  Both were heavenly.

So here's the marinade!  Make it, marinate it, grill it, eat every last, little piece of it!

Carne Asada Marinade
Adapted from All Recipes

1/3 cup white vinegar
½ cup soy sauce
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
2 limes, juiced
½ cup olive oil
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ of a serrano and ½ of a jalapeno diced, no seeds or membranes
1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp each: ground black pepper, ground white pepper, garlic powder, chili powder (cayanne), dried MEXICAN oregano (if you cant get it, skip it), ground cumin, paprika.
OR
7 tsp taco seasoning (this is what we used since we're light on spices at the moment)

  1. Score steak.  Lay out the steak in a bowl or baking dish.  In a separate bowl, combine seasonings in a bowl and whisk together.
  2. Pour marinade over the steak, turning the steak over to coat both sides.  Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly on top of the meat, pressing gently to get most of the air out of the dish.  Refrigerate for at least one hour (the longer, the better).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake