Sinfully Delicious Coffee Cake

**Disclaimer:  If you count calories, you may just want to skip this post.  You've been fairly warned!

My version from Easter '12
I discovered this little gem last year, and I don't remember why, but I don't think I need a reason.  It's a cinnamon coffee cake from Pinterest.  What more do we need?  I made it for a work breakfast, and then again for Easter brunch.  When it was a hit in both places, I stored this baby away for special days.  I've started jonesing for it again, so it was lucky for me that the work breakfast fell on this week!

Unfortunately, it was a busy week.  My sister's birthday was yesterday and we went out for the evening.  When we came home, the couch was so inviting, and then it was bedtime!  I woke up this morning to my alarm and groggily laid there for a moment until a little voice in my head whispered, "Hey... you never made that cake that you need to have at work by 7:00 this morning."

I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say that in an hour and five minutes, I was showered, dressed, and in the car with a packed lunch and a hot coffee cake.  Phew!  I wouldn't suggest trying to throw this together in 15 minutes, but if you absolutely have to, it is possible!  And it takes about 35 minutes to cook.

Everyone made me feel all warm and fuzzy by picking my dish out of the lineup and digging in eagerly.  I even got a call in the middle of the day from one coworker, asking if I had more set aside for her... just in case I did!  So if you're looking for a crowd pleaser, this is it!

Just... keep the ingredients to yourself.
I blatantly stole this picture from www.chef-in-training.com
Sinfully Delicious Coffee Cake
Adapted from here

Cake
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1-1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter (melted)

Topping
2 sticks of butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon flour
2 tsp cinnamon (you can adjust this a little depending on how much you like, I like a lot hence 2 tsp)

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
5 tablespoons milk
1 tsp vanilla

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan with nonstick spray.
  2. In an electric mixer, combine flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla.  Scrape down the bowl to make sure all of the dry ingredients have been fully incorporated.  Add the melted butter slowly.
  3. Pour mix into prepared cake pan.
  4. In another bowl (or just keep using your electric mixer bowl), mix all the Topping ingredients until creamy.  Scoop spoonfuls of the topping and plop them randomly over the yellow cake.  After all the topping is on the cake, use a knife or spatula to swirl the topping through the cake.  Don't go overboard or it will all sink to the bottom.
  5. Bake for 35-40 min.  The topping sections will sink and still look wet, but the yellow cake will be slightly browned.  
  6. Let cool some before drizzling on glaze.*

*I like to let it cool completely, then cut it and move the pieces onto a separate place.  I then spoon a little frosting on each cooled piece.  This way the glaze doesn't melt into the cake and they are easier to dish out at a party.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake