Homemade Store Bought Stuff

What a slacker!  I've been making things like crazy, but haven't put them up here.  Good thing summer break isn't too far off, because I have some sinfully delicious things for you guys.  Just be aware that your adorable bikini won't be so adorable after eating some of these things... I won't worry.  I don't do bikinis!  :)

In the meantime, I do have two amazing recipes for you today.  Not sure if you heard, but the Chicago area decided to become a serious if islands this past week.  Jeff and I went from a lovely apartment by a very small river to lake-front property renters!  We're considering buying a boat!

Time to get a boat!
So everything was shut down for a while, and I had some time to just hang out in the apartment.  I was craving brownies, so I went to the pantry and...

NO BROWNIE MIX!

What?!  I have never been out of brownie mix in my life!  Simple, we'll just run to the store... oh wait, the parking lot is under 2 feet of water.  What's a girl to do?

Pinterest.

So I looked for some recipes that had ingredients that we actually had on hand.  I stumbled upon a site with recipe with good ingredients, and then realized it was Martha Stewart!  As much as I prefer to avoid her stuff, I have to give credit where credit is due.  These brownies are amaaaaaazing!

I whipped them up and immediately decided that I had found my new brownie go-to.  My brownie craving was pleased, but we had the day off and I was still bored.  I started looking for more ideas, but everything needed ingredients we didn't have.

Then I remembered we had a thing of whipping cream in the fridge from a forgotten experiment.  So then we took the opportunity to try out a recipe for stabilized whipped cream that wouldn't break down and get all melty like whipped cream does.

After dinner, we had brownies, mashed up strawberries, and whipped cream.  Yummmmm  See, I told you to be careful with that bikini!

Both of these things are recipes you can easily skip and buy store bought instant stuff instead.  I will warn you, once you've had these, the store bought might be inadequate to your taste buds!

Homemade Brownies
Adapted from here

6 tablespoons of butter
6oz semisweet chocolate (1 cup); I used chocolate chips
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

  1. In a double boiler, melt chocolate, cocoa powder, and butter.  I was lazy and did it in a microwave, but if you do this, make sure you do it in short bursts of no more than 30 seconds at a time or you'll burn the chocolate.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In an electric mixer, mix the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Beat until light, which will take a few minutes.  When it's light, mix in melted chocolate thoroughly.  Mix in the flour, stopping to scrape down the sides.
  4. Line a 8x8 pan with parchment paper (or foil) and grease with butter.  Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake about 35min at 350 degrees.


Stabilized Whipped Cream
Adapted from here

1 pint whipped cream, 2 tablespoons set aside
4 tablespoons confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar)
2 tablespoons cold water
1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin powder

  1. In an electric mixer (preferably with a whisk attachment), whip the cream on high for several minutes until stiff peaks form.  Add sugar to taste; my amount was an estimation.
  2. In a separate bowl, sprinkle gelatin powder over the cold water.  Pour over the 2 tablespoons of cream you set aside earlier.  Refrigerate about 10-15 min.  Whisk quickly and pour over already-whipped cream.  Whip another 20-30 seconds.
  3. Eat immediately and using your fingers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake