Raspberry Crumble

So it was your typical Sunday around here.  We slept in, did some grocery shopping, and I browsed Pinterest (of course).  We've been staying at my parents for a week to take care of the dogs while they were on vacation, and getting back to our own apartment and rhythm was nice.  Sleeping in our own bed again was beyond heavenly, and I never wanted to get out!  Unfortunately, the shower and grocery shopping called, so I did.

While doing my lazy morning internet routine (facebook, email, weather, pinterest), I discovered a delicious recipe on Pinterest.  It was an easy, basic crumble recipe that called for raspberry, but I think you could do a lot with it.  We followed the recipe this time, but I want to try it with my apple pie filling as well.  The one thing I'll caution about that, however, is the rest of the dish is sweet, so the tartness of the raspberry filling was the perfect counterpart.  I would suggest raspberry, blueberry, cherry, or strawberry.  I'll be trying the apple one soon, and I'll post an update to let you know how the sweeter ones work.

**Update (6/19/13):  So far we've tried the apple crumble (find the recipe here) and cherry preserves.  I looooved the cherry because it was full cherries so it tasted like cherry pie.  Jeff thought it was too sweet.  We're trying blueberries next.  So far, both the raspberry and the cherry were from preserves in jars we bought from our local grocery store.  Try any of your favorites!

Instead of using raw oats and some spices, this recipe calls for granola.  Maybe that's cheating, but it was so much better than raw oats. I mean, infinitely better.  Both Jeff and I took a bite and nodded.  Oh yes, this is a new favorite.  So enjoy!

Raspberry Crumble
Adapted from Nine + Sixteen

1 cup butter (2 sticks)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/3 cup flour
10-12oz jar of raspberry preserves (or whatever flavor you want)
2/3 cup granola
1/4 cup sliced almonds

  1. Cream butter and sugar.  I used my gorgeous red Kitchen Aid and the paddle mixer.  Add vanilla.  Slowly mix in the flour.  If you are hand mixing, this will take a long time.  Without the moisture of eggs, the batter is hard to incorporate.  Even with the mixer, it's going to take a while.  Keep mixing until all the batter comes together in a ball.
  2. Take out the batter and make one big ball.  Set 2/3 of the ball to the side and spread the rest of the dough on the bottom of a 9x9 square pan.  Push the edges up the side just a little (original recipe suggested 1/4inch).
  3. Spread the fruit thickly, but leave an uncovered border just at the edge.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the granola into the remaining dough with your hands.  Sprinkle the dough/granola pieces evenly over the fruit layer.
  5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  Let cool before cutting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake