Best-Ever Buttercream Frosting


I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe yet.  It could be argued that this recipe is what kicked off my obsession with cooking and baking.  I loved baking and cooking, but it was about how it tasted, and it didn't usually look all that great.  My parents bought me some cake decorating stuff for Christmas, and my cousin asked me to take a cake decorating class with her.

I was hooked.

Problem was, the recipe the class gave me looked phenomenal... and tasted like plastic.  So I did some research and discovered that the problem was the shortening.  I needed butter.  Be real, people, butter makes everything better.

Now, I've done my research.  The general consensus, along with my own experience, is that the butter makes it softer, so it doesn't hold up for much real decorating.  If you're trying to make flowers or something along those lines, you're going to need a straight up shortening/confectioners sugar concoction.  However, for general frosting and light decorations (or if you don't care that your roses look like carnations), butter it is!

Shortening Roses

Butter Roses
I have agonized over this for a long time now, and I've just decided that taste still trumps beauty.  So trust me when I say, it's worth it to stick with the 50/50 butter and shortening one.  If you use all butter,  it's not as tasty, and it falls apart real fast.

So, to be blunt, my suggestion is to stick with the combination of the two.  This has the best of both worlds and has even received praise from professional bakers!  It goes great on cakes, brownies, and cookies.  My sister prefers it on a spoon.

Best-Ever Buttercream Frosting

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (I always use regular Crisco, not butter flavored)
4 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tablespoons milk**
Pinch of salt (less than 1/8 tsp)

  1. Cream together butter and shortening in an electric mixer.  You may have to stop it and scrape down the side a few times.  Blend together completely before adding confectioner's sugar.
  2. Slooooowly add confectioner's sugar, ensuring each cup is thoroughly mixed before adding the next.  Again, you will have to scrape the sides down several times.
  3. After it's all mixed in, add the vanilla and the milk.  Add the milk, but add it slowly.  If you're looking to slather on the frosting, go ahead and add the full 2 tablespoons.  If you want to do any decorating with it, I recommend adding only 1 to 1.5 tablespoons.
  4. Sprinkle in the little bit of salt.  Mix well.  Consume!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake