Amazingly Phenomenal Chocolate Sugar Cookies

I don't have enough adjectives to describe these.  Just trust me, they are awesome.

What drew me to these were (of course) the Pinterest pictures.  Who doesn't want food that tastes delicious and looks amazing too?  Problem is, I'm no artist.  I'm not patient enough or steady enough to make things look as nice as they do on Pinterest, and the fancy camera is currently in my father's possession, so my little digital camera has to do.

But something miraculous happened with these cookies... they came out beautifully!  I think it's the dark cocoa powder in it.  They were just stiff enough that they held the cookie cutter shape perfectly.  Even before refrigeration, they were stiff enough to cut out (but I didn't).  It turns out that I didn't have the heart-shaped cookie cutter I needed for a perfect Valentine's Day treat.  So my cookies refrigerated overnight, and it didn't do any harm.  They have almost the consistency of an Oreo.  Not quite as crunchy because I made mine thicker than your average Oreo, but these are a sturdy cookie.

These were a huge hit at work, and getting them to last that long was difficult.  I think Jeff ate two cookies worth of dough because the dough itself was delightful.  Once they made it to work, everyone seemed to really like them and I've had a few requests for the recipe so far.  So, without any more ramblings, the recipe!

Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Adapted from Sprinkle Bakes

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 cup dark cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)

  1. Mix together the butter and sugar until creamy.  Do not over-mix.  If you don't have an electric mixer, this recipe will take a lot of arm strength.
  2. Add in egg and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and cocoa powder.  Add it into the butter mixture slowly, making sure to mix it fully until adding the rest.  Make sure to stir completely or you'll have white streaks in your gorgeous dark chocolate.
  4. Form the dough into a rough ball (don't handle it too much!) and place it on a large piece of wax paper or parchment paper.  Place another piece of wax paper on top of the ball and roll out the dough until flat.  You will roll again, so don't worry about it being perfect.  Just have it thin enough that it will cool quickly.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.
  5. Remove from the fridge and roll dough until it's 1/4-1/2 inch thick.  I left mine a little thicker and they held their shape perfectly, as well were a little chewy instead of crunchy.  Use your cookie cutter of choice to create adorable shapes.
  6. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 15-18minutes.  Yields about 20-24 cookies.
  7. Let cool completely before icing (if you choose to frost).  If you're looking for a great royal icing that will harden but not be crunchy?  Check here!

That's it, folks!  Super easy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake