Grownup Oreo Mudpie

Every year, my aunt hosts Easter at her house, and it's a giant potluck brunch.  There's always more food than any one person should eat (doesn't stop us though).  We all come equipped with tupperwear so we can take leftovers home and eat for days.  As such, I like to experiment with new things because I know it will get eaten.

One year, I tried out some new cake decorating...
Chocolate cake, white butter cream icing -- 2010
Another year, I did some Easter-inspired sugar cookies.  This was particularly awesome because we were going out of town and I didn't even get to eat a single cookie!


This year, my aunt asked me to bring cupcakes.  Well I just haven't been much in a cake-decorating mood lately.  In fact, I don't think I've decorated a cake or cupcake since February.  I'm dissatisfied with my frosting since it doesn't taste as delicious as the professional bakers.  Silly reason, but nonetheless, I am on the quest for the perfect frosting, and I have temporarily paused that quest.

So when another family member called me to ask if she could bring cupcakes too, I quickly suggested she do the cupcakes and I would do something else.  See, I had an idea...


No one can resist the allure of those thick, chewy chocolate sugar cookies.  In fact, they called them brownie cookies.  Who can blame them?  But that's not the point of this post... those are over here.

Not my picture!  Stolen from CenterCutCook.com
What I experimented with this year was inspired from this drool-inducing picture from Pinterest.  Everything about this picture screams delicious.  My mom even commented on it, saying that it was ridiculous.  I knew I had to try.  When you see the ingredient list, your worst fears about calories are solidified, but that won't stop you.  With the 4th of July coming up, I thought this was a perfect party dish.  Besides, holiday calories don't count.

This is a messy, delicious slice of heaven.  It is the grownup version of those nasty little styrafom cups of "dirt" and gummie worms.  We all know that was secretly delicious, but we're too mature for that (says the girl who is eating Monsters Inc box mac 'n cheese as she writes this).  So without further ado, I bring you.... Grownup Oreo Mudpie!

Grownup Oreo Mudpie

Adapted from here

1 package regular Oreos (or whatever knockoff you can get cheaper)
6 tablespoons butter, melted
8oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1-12oz container cool whip
2-3.9oz packet chocolate instant pudding
3  1/4 cup milk
Shaved Chocolate (or mini chocolate chips)

  1. Crush Oreos.  I put them in a ziplock bag and smashed with a rolling pin.  Low tech and works wonders.  When they are properly crushed, pour them into a bowl and drizzle the butter over it.  Stir with a fork to distribute butter evenly.  Press Oreo mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Refrigerate while completing the rest of the layers.
  2. In your electric mixer, beat cream cheese.  Add sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, and 1 and 1/4 cup cool whip.  Mix well.  Spread this over the Oreo crust.
  3. In a separate bowl, combine pudding mix and milk.  Whisk quickly until pudding thickens.  Spread this layer over the cream cheese.  Refrigerate for 5-10 minutes to allow it to firm up a bit.
  4. Spread remaining cool whip over the whole thing.  Mine did not remain white as it mixed a bit with the pudding and was very frustrating, but I assure you, it tastes delicious in the end.
  5. Shave some chocolate over the cool whip, or sprinkle mini chocolate chips.  Full size chocolate chips are too heavy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever