Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yum!  Fall is here, and that means everything turns into a pumpkin.  My kitchen churns out all sorts of pumpkin spiced baked goods, from bread to donuts to these new cookies.  My son loves to help me bake, and our favorite activity is cookies, mostly because he loves to eat the chocolate chips that play a major role in every cookie I make.  Including these beauties. 

I've never had pumpkin cookies, but everything else it touches is delicious, so why not?  Well, except pie.  Pumpkin pie is gross.  Fight me.

So in my first attempt of pumpkin cookies I have learned a few things.

  1. These don't spread.  However you plop them on the cookie sheet is pretty much how they come out.  I happen to like them to look like delightful little blobs of pumpkin-y goodness, but the original recipe suggests using the back of a spoon to squish them down a little.
  2. These are cake-like.  Very dense.  It makes it extra delicious and increases your likelihood of limiting yourself when you eat these.  I mean, I still can pack them away but you may have more self-control.
  3. The original recipe suggested holding 1/2 cup of chocolate chips back to sprinkle on top after you scoop the cookies.  I didn't and found them to be perfectly chocolatey.  Do you.
Best part?  No need to remember to take out the butter ahead of time!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Original recipe here

1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon all spice
2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350*
  2. Mix pumpkin, both sugars, oil, egg, and vanilla together.  
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and all spice.
  4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Blend well before adding more dry ingredients.
  5. Mix in the chocolate chips.
  6. Scoop a spoonful of the dough onto a cookie sheet.  You can smooth them out with the back of a spoon if you prefer wider cookies, or leave them as-is.
  7. Bake for 12 minutes.  Allow them to rest 1-2 minutes before depanning them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake