Guest Blogger: Blueberry Pie Syrup

Guest blogger:  Chef-Wannabe Jeff!

Blueberry Pie Syrup

For Christmas, Molly's parents got me a Sodastream machine, something I have always wanted. I had made several of the sample pack flavors when I decided it was time for me to start tinkering. I looked through our supplies and noticed the frozen Michigan blueberries from the summer. So far, we had only used them in pancakes so I decided that needed to change.

While this syrup would be great on pancakes, ice cream, or in cocktails, I wanted to make a soda. I used the Sodastream to carbonate a liter of water and then added what would be a serving of concentrate (about 50 ml) of the blueberry syrup. It proved to be not enough so I added a second serving and that gave it a good strong flavor.

1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup frozen blueberries

Combine all ingredients in a small/medium sauce pan.

After that, it was a simple matter of keeping the temperature at a even simmer and continuing to stir and smash the blueberries as they thawed.

Bring to a light simmer and stir frequently. Let syrup simmer for 20-30 minutes on medium-low heat until it has reduced by 1/3-1/2.

Strain mixture through a wire mesh strainer and discard fruit pulp. Yields about 1 1/4 cup

Store in the fridge will keep for under a month.

Comments

  1. Wow Jeff you are fancy! I have to try one of your sodas someday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever