Too Much Chocolate Cake

Couldn't even wait to take a picture!
My favorite way to find a new recipe isn't actually Pinterest.  I prefer accidentally discovering a food I love
(by eating it of course) and then asking someone for the recipe.  This past summer, at my cousin's birthday party, her roommate brought out a chocolate cake.  Me and chocolate are besties, so of course I took a piece.  After the first bite, I decided I had discovered my new favorite chocolate cake!

This cake is luscious.  Decadent.  Sinful.  Devil's Food Cake, you naive child, you haven't tasted sinful yet.

There is so much chocolate, but it is balanced out by enough moisture that it never becomes cloying and overdone.  It's just delicious.  Every bite is worth the calories.  I will admit I have only made it once because we had company in town and I wanted something to wow the crowd.  Simply making it for Jeff and I, or even a small party, feels too gluttonous.  After all, something made with all these ingredients is laden in guilt... but as I said, every bite is worth it.  Leave the guilt behind and make this when you deserve a little extra!

For those of you who have searched for the perfect chocolate cake, you'll know there are three camps:  Boiling Water Camp, Mayonnaise Camp, Sour Cream Camp.

All three sound disgusting, right?  Who wants mayo in a chocolate cake?  Well, my Chicago friends, ever had Portillos chocolate cake?  Yup, there's mayo in there.

When I was grilling Karla (my cousin's roommate) about the ingredients, I guessed sour cream and she admitted it did indeed have sour cream. I was always afraid to use it because it sounded gross.  Having had this cake, however, I can assure you it is fantastic.  So when she sent me the recipe, she added "Don't be afraid of the sour cream!"  I think I'll always be hesitant about it, but the end result is so worth it!

Too Much Chocolate Cake

Cake
1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup warm water
1 package instant pudding mix
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

  1. Mix all ingredients (except chocolate chips) together.  Add chocolate chips.
  2. Pour into a greased 12 cup bundt or angel food cake pan.  Bake for 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees.

Glaze
3/4 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

  1. In a microwave safe bowl, pour chocolate chips, butter, and light corn syrup.  Microwave in 20 second bursts, stirring after each time, until chocolate is fully melted.  Add vanilla.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

Oatmeal Bake

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever