Taco Soup

Jeff's work has an awesome tradition of taking turns to provide Friday lunches.  Everybody who wants to participate signs up with a small group for a couple of Fridays during the year so that every Friday, one small group is providing lunch for everyone.  He really enjoys it and frequently comes home to brag about the delicious food he had that week.  Our recipe this week comes directly from his Friday food.

Last June, Jeff came home raving about a fantastic soup he had at work that Friday, and he wanted me to make it.  I have a thing about "winter food" and "summer food," so I didn't make it over the summer.  But with the nice cool weather lately, I suggested we try it this week.  We had the ground beef, but we were low on all the canned veggies this recipe calls for, so I hit the grocery store.

Now, I like mine very savory, so I went a little heavy on the spices.  The original recipe called for one packet of taco seasoning, but I used an equivilent of two.  It wasn't spicy but it was very savory.  Also, from the beginning, I kept saying that this was more of a stew than a soup.  Now that I sit here eating it as I type, I still think I'm right.

So if you're looking for a delicious soup/stew for a nice cool fall/winter evening, this is a good one.  Very filling and plenty of leftovers!

Taco Soup


1lb ground beef
1 small onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can creamed corn, undrained
1 can Mexican corn (or canned corn with peppers), undrained
1 can Rotel tomatoes, undrained
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
*2 packets of taco seasoning
1 packet dry Italian Dressing seasoning
Suggested Toppings:
Cheese
Tortilla chips
Green onions
Sour cream

  1. Brown the ground beef and onion in a large soup pot, stirring frequently to break up the meat into small pieces. *I added one taco seasoning packet and a liiiiittle water to season the meat.  This is optional.
  2. Once browned, add tomatoes, corn, Rotel and black beans.  Stir together.  Pour in the other taco seasoning packet and the Italian dressing seasoning packet.  Stir.
  3. Bring to a boil.  Then turn heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes.
  4. Top with whatever you prefer.  I don't think it's as good without all the toppings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chili Soy Pork

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever

Oatmeal Bake